Senior UNIX Engineer - Belfast
- Job Ref: 2871
- Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
- Type: Permanent
My Client, a global leader in financial technology managed services and IT infrastructure products, is looking for Senior UNIX Engineer to join their team in Belfast on a permanent basis. As part of the global team, you will be working and learning from experts in New York, London, Hong Kong, Singapore and Belfast. Working for my Client will give you first-hand access to world class technologists, leading-edge financial technology, exciting new applications and bespoke software products.
The purpose of this role is to perform maintenance routines, troubleshooting and UNIX-installations. The ideal candidate should be proficient in the UNIX-based utility service and will provide enterprise-wide Unix System infrastructure support for complex system and interconnected technologies that require day-to-day support and administration in order to maintain optimum performance and utilization.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Senior Member of team managing always-on, multi-site infrastructure.
- Ensure proper security, monitoring, alerting and reporting for the infrastructure.
- Assist with capacity planning for all aspects of the infrastructure.
- Ensure that all projects and infrastructure are properly documented.
- Design, implement and operate a scalable and reliable system infrastructure supporting fast growth.
- Perform daily maintenance activities.
- Handling technical escalation from clients.
- Working on technology and process improvement for the benefit of the team.
- Efficiently providing proactive support through change management and capacity planning and documenting procedures and processes related to systems administration.
Required Skills / Knowledge / Qualification:
- 5 - 10 years’ experience providing Red Hat/Solaris/Debian Systems Administration support for large scale complex Unix environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to work within strict deadlines and with a wide spectrum of people
- Project Leader experience
- Experience with HP/IBM Server Hardware (configuration and troubleshooting), familiar with datacentre best practices
- Working knowledge of High-End SAN storage systems (3PAR, Netapp, EMC or equivalent)
- Knowledge of Nagios or similar monitoring tools
- Knowledge of Puppet or similar configuration management tools
- Knowledge of GIT, SVN or similar version control systems
- Proficient in at least one scripting language (Bash, Python, Perl)
- Extensive knowledge and experience in supporting and troubleshooting Unix networking services and protocols: TCP/IP, NIS, DNS, NFS, LDAP, FTP, SSH, SMTP, SNMP, SSL, HTTP, DHCP and PXE.
- Experience in a Unix environment authentication against Microsoft Active Directory (LDAP, SSSD, Kerberos)
What benefits will I have?
- Private health care.
- Excellent maternity & paternity benefits.
- Paid annual leave.
Unfortunately, we cannot offer sponsorship for this role so you must have valid Visa to work in Northern Ireland.