Senior Network Engineer
- Job Ref: 5163
- Location: Dublin, Ireland
- Type: Permanent
We are looking for a Senior Network Engineer who preferably has previous retail experience.
You will be reporting to the head of Service Operations and BAU and will be responsible for 2nd line support, working with vendors on 3rd line support as well as for design and implementation of network solutions for our expanding network and infrastructure. You will be utilising multiple network and systems technologies in what is today largely a traditional enterprise environment but which over time will move more applications to the cloud of various types. You must be able to drive the connectivity, networking and infrastructure solution for us going forward and must therefore have significant expertise in network and infrastructure technology trends. In our architecture today we have Oracle, IBM (AS400), Windows, VmWare, SQL, Azure and Amazon Webservices represented in addition to a large number of smaller OS. Our LAN network is currently cisco based.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Design and evolve the Core and LAN/WAN networks in line with best practice
- Assist in designing and evolving the general infrastructure estate including the use of cloud
- Maintain awareness of industry trends in networking
- Collaborate with other architects, engineers and project teams to assess requirements and recommend solutions.
- Define best practices for supporting recommended solutions.
- Assist with business case development and presentation to management in support of new technology initiatives
- Lead resolutions of issues by supporting 3rd level support when required.
- Provide thought leadership in the design of network infrastructure services to meet current and future business requirements and operational objectives.
- Design, deliver, document and communicate Network architecture for Cloud or on-premise environments with a focus on growth, performance and scalability.
- Partner across various IT and business teams to provide insight and technology recommendations that result in enterprise solutions that solve critical business problems
- Identify operational risks and plans to mitigate.
Who are you
You ideally have previous retail experience, you enjoy working in collaborations with colleagues in IT and the wider business. You pursue best practice and have a strong experience in practical application.
Technical Knowledge & Skills:
The ideal candidate possesses the following competencies and skills:
- 7+ years as Network Engineer
- Operations background with a strong LAN/WAN design capability
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or higher certification
- Strong experience in Cisco platforms TCP/IP, MPLS, Routing, Switching, Load Balancers, Wireless controllers, Firewall, VPN, EIGRP,OSPF, BGP, QOS and Carrier WAN/Metro/Internet circuits
- Expertise in Palo Alto, Checkpoint and Fortinet would be an advantage
- Strong experience with WAN Optimization & Performance monitoring
- Experience implementing SD-WAN in a hybrid cloud environment
- Strong experience with converged infrastructure that incorporates network, storage, systems and virtualisation technologies.
- Knowledge and/or experience of Cloud Computing Engineering, concepts, service models (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), deployment models, practical implementations and future trends
- Experience in working with Virtual Machines (VMWare, Hyper V, KVM or other hypervisor software)
- Ability to write automation code in a common scripting language, such as PowerShell, Perl or Python
- Expertise in defining and managing networks to KPI’s
- Experience in vendor management
You must demonstrate key competencies at expert level including;
- Technical/professional knowledge
- Strong communicator
- Building Relationships
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Commercial awareness
- Change Advocate