Senior Java Engineer
- Job Ref: 1402
- Location: dublin, Ireland
- Type: Contract
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to take on the senior technical role in a team developing data acquisition software for our solution, including web crawling, mobile application data acquisition, and web services.
· We acquire data from many 100s of online retailers on a daily basis..
· The successful candidates will:
· Design and implement a new data acquisition software platform
· Design, develop, test, and bug-fix software for web crawling, scraping, and mobile data acquisition
· Mentor other software developers
· Produce estimates for work
Experience & Education:
· Minimum of 5 years of employment experience developing software
· Third level degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent
· Experience writing web scraping / web crawling software
· Highly Proficient in development, using Java, Ruby or other programming language
· Knowledge of SQL; Knowledge of one of PostgreSQL or MySQL or other relational database
· Source control using one of Mercurial, Git, Subversion or equivalent
· Fluency in the English language is required
Advantageous but not necessary:
· Experience working in a Linux environment is advantageous but not necessary
· Knowledge of Unit Testing / Test Automation is advantageous
Responsibilities of the data acquisition team
· Develop new and updated web Crawlers and mobile app data harvesters to meet business requirements.
· Acquire data every day according to schedule
· Meet standards for data quality and on-time delivery
· React rapidly to resolve issues as they arise – such as changes in web site layout or mobile app.
· Respond to ad-hoc and once-off requests
· put in place architecture and framework for scaling and evolution of data acquisition.
Ø Our web crawling software needs to continue to be fully automated, scheduled, configurable, and very robust, incorporating automated data validation.
Ø Work closely with the product development and operations teams re software interfaces, deployment, and data validation and processing.
Ø Research and trial new approaches and technologies to provide the best possible solution to the company’s growing needs for data acquisition.
Ø Be the experts on the data we acquire and how we acquire it: Come up with ideas for improvements.