Mainframe Senior Programmer
- Job Ref: 4805
- Location: Co Dublin, Ireland
- Type: Permanent
Senior Programmer, Mainframe
Platform Services Mainframe is a team of mainframe system programmers that install, maintain and support the mainframe infrastructure.
Platform Services Mainframe interacts with many internal development and operations teams to support the core applications and customer file transfers.
This job requires a Mainframe Systems Programmer especially familiar with IBM z/Architecture and z/OS.
This job actively participates in planning the direction and implementation of data processing software as they relate primarily to mainframe operating system and related systems software. It includes configuring, installing, maintaining and supporting infrastructure software mostly related to mainframe.
Other primary responsibilities include installing, configuring and updating software. Specifically BMC MainView Suite.
• Have you installed z/OS operating system software?
• Have you worked with z/OS third party products (specifically Compuware & BMC products)?
• Have you regularly supported other development and operations teams with implementations
• Install, monitor and maintain operating system software and other third party products.
• Provide Level 2 problem determination in regards to mainframe operating system and third
party software issues.
• Complete status reports, implementations, troubleshooting and maintain project plans as
• Provide technical assistance to Operations teams and development programmers to
facilitate independent utilization of new and existing software. Assist with diagnosis of
issues as reported through our incident / problem tracking tool.
• Accurately document duties and procedures to aid the department in cross-training and
absentee coverage. Complete audit requirements on a monthly and quarterly basis by
verifying software releases and implementations.
• Support business disaster recovery procedures or fail over testing for assigned areas of
responsibility. Prepare and coordinate appropriate training to data center staff.
All About You
• Extended experience in mainframe z/OS Systems Programming.
• Strong inter-personal, written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to effectively work with vendors, internal departments and management.
• Ability to diagnose and resolve problems quickly and completely.
• Solid understanding and experience with communications server in a z/OS mainframe
• Experience with third party vendor products (Compuware, BMC) a plus.
• Knowledge of and experience with BMC monitoring tools a plus.
• Ability to install, support and diagnose third party software.