- Job Ref: 3750
- Location: Dublin, Ireland
- Type: Permanent
OverviewSummary of Role:
The Linux Specialist Engineer is a member of a multi-disciplinary team of solution specialists and engineers supporting the operations, definition of requirements and implementation of our IT strategy. This team is responsible for the implementation of our strategic infrastructure roadmaps and operational oversight of our infrastructure with our IT partners.
Your next challenge
Implementation of Distributed-X Roadmaps and Strategy (Linux, VMWare) - The Linux Specialist Engineer will contribute to roadmaps for Distributed-X roadmaps for implementation of an Enterprise Linux platform. Design infrastructure solutions to meet requirements in line with IT strategy and contribute to capability blueprints in other areas of architecture, raising update suggestions, and any matters that may impact strategy. It is key that technology domain knowledge combined with business knowledge is used to maintain a vision and preserve operational integrity.
Ensuring systems are designed and operated within are aligned to agreed infrastructure architectural and security standards. Engage on project requests, refine business requirements and detail infrastructure requirements. Encourage re-use and optimisation of existing solutions whilst liaising with Demand Management team to define the stakeholder map. You will add value by ensuring optimisation and re-use. Mitigate the risk of any non-compliant design delivery and operations that might expose us to reputational or regulatory censure associated with technology infrastructure design delivery deficiencies from our partners.
Support investment planning and management of commercial aspects of solution delivery - As a Linux Specialist Engineer you will perform cost-benefit analysis for proposed technology partner or vendor deliverables and support compilation of the investment and revenue budgets linked to the architecture blueprints. You will support the business case creation and approval of project to implement Distributed-X roadmaps. The Linux Specialist Engineer will assist the Vendor Management team and other SIAM teams to ensure vendor costs are managed as they pertain to the infrastructure environment.
• Development of Enterprise Distributed-X capability (Linux and VMWare) for AIB aligning to IT roadmaps and strategy.
• Own delegated aspects of our infrastructure technology roadmap, design and engineered solutions.
• Accountable for operational oversight of Linux and VMWare estates ensuring infrastructure and standards.
• Support solution integration by leveraging our multi-partner technology delivery model.
• Ensure that all System design documents including HLD/LLDs are produced, reviewed, and signed-off.
• Provide feedback when defined architectural principles need to be modified.
• Automating and management of enterprise systems
• In-depth knowledge of Networking and Virtual Networking technologies
• DevOps experience supporting large distributed system
What you’ll need
• Expert (3+ years) of one or more of the following Infrastructure Technologies domains (ie:RedHat Enterprise Linux server or VMWare ESX Server or similar)
• Knowledge of one or more of the following technologies or similar: Chef, Microsoft Windows OS, Public Cloud Technologies, IaaS specifically on Azure and AWS.
• Experience in Java development and Docker containers is an advantage
• Knowledge of the Business analysis, requirements definition, technical writing and technology evaluation is advantageous.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a technology discipline advantageous.
• As part of the selection process, the successful applicant will be expected to demonstrate the competencies reflected below.
• Strategic thinking and commercial acumen – designing the future to achieve commercial success
• Teamwork and collaboration – working together to deliver results
• Planning and priority setting – getting things done effectively and efficiently
• Results focus – achieving results resiliently
• Problem solving and decision making – making timely, quality decisions